Imagine being able to bake a pan of brownies, instantly, without having to preheat your oven. I’d say that makes these Small Batch Brownies from Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer by Kathy Hester rather remarkable – and a good reason to get an air fryer! Bake them in your air fryer for 20 minutes and enjoy! Seems crazy? Well, air fryers are essentially convection ovens, so let’s bake cake!
Count me among Kathy Hester’s legions of admirers. It is not exaggeration to say that Kathy wears a lot of “different hats,” each very successfully. She is a cookbook author (with number of books), a blogger at Healthy Slow Cooking, and a consultant to individuals and the culinary world. We have had the chance to share meals and conversation at several events over a few years, and today I am very happy to introduce Kathy’s newest book, Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer, to you.
Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer provides plant-based dishes with all the decadence of fried food without the added calories. Using little to no oil, these recipes result in wholesome and delicious meals with less mess, but the perfect texture, every time.
You will be amazed, I sure was and still am, at how fast you can have dinner on the table using your air fryer. With recipes like Black Bean Avocado Chimichangas, Cheesy Hot Sauce Collard Chips, Cajun French Fry Po’Boy with Vegan Mushroom Gravy, and Banana Spring Rolls, plus techniques that yield crispy tofu to rival any restaurant, Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer makes healthy eating easy, fast and tasty.
Small Batch Brownies
- 1/4 cup (60ml) nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) aquafaba
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (48g) whole wheat pastry flour (*use gluten-free baking blend)
- 1/2 cup (99g) vegan sugar (or sweetener of choice, to taste)
- 1/4 cup (21g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (6g) ground flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of any one or a combination of the following:
- chopped walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, mini vegan chocolate chips, shredded coconut
- Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl. Then mix the wet ingredients in a large measuring cup. Add the wet to the dry and mix well.
- Add in the mix-in(s) of your choice and mix again.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees (or as close as your air fryer gets). Either spray some oil on a 5-inch cake or pie round pan (or a loaf pan that fits in your air fryer), or line it with parchment paper to keep it completely oil-free.
- Place the pan in the fryer basket. Cook for 20 minutes. If the middle is not well set or a knife doesn't come out clean when stuck in the middle cook for 5 minutes more and repeat as needed. The time may vary depending on the size pan and your particular air fryer.
Recipe by Kathy Hester. Reprinted by permission of Page Street Publishing