Cheesy Primavera Mac from Vegan Mac and Cheese by Robin Robertson is a delicious dinner comfort food dish that’s loaded with lots of healthy vegetables, and it’s Mac n Cheese!
Vegan Mac and Cheese
If there is anyone who doesn’t love mac n’ cheese, I haven’t yet met them. Now thanks to bestselling author Robin Robertson, we can have vegan mac n’ cheese 50 different ways. Robin’s recipes always work so you can feel confident when you cook. You’ll want to run into your kitchen to make one—or more!—of the irresistible recipes in her newest book, Vegan Mac and Cheese. In addition to the mac and cheese recipes, you’ll find lists of toppings and add-ins.
In the book, Robin shows how to make rich, delectable pasta dishes featuring vegan cheese sauces that start with plant milk, vegetables, and nuts as their base ingredients. Using these sauces, you can make classic dishes, such as Mom’s Classic Mac UnCheese, and globally creative dishes, like Indian Curry Mac.
I was happy to find an entire chapter to veggie-loaded dishes, like Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Arugula Pesto Mac UnCheese. Another chapter serves up meatless mac and cheeses made meaty with lentils, jackfruit, mushrooms, and more. For fun, there are recipes for Mac and Cheese Balls, Mac ‘n’ Cheese Pizza, and Waffled Mac and Cheese.
I was very happy with this Cheesy Primavera Mac, and so were my 4 grandchildren who’ve already tasted a few of Robin’s Vegan Mac and Cheese recipes. She’s got everyone covered, so grab this book.
Cheesy Primavera Mac
- 1 large russet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/2 cup (70 g) unsalted raw cashews
- 1/3 cup (20 g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon (17 g) white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Ground black pepper
Pasta and Vegetables:
- 16 ounces (454 g) tricolor rotini or other small pasta
- 2 cups (142 g) small broccoli florets
- 3 scallions, white and green parts minced
- 2 cups (60 g) chopped fresh spinach, arugula, or watercress
- 1 cup (149 g) cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup (36 g) roasted hulled sunflower seeds optional, garnish
- Handful small basil leaves optional, garnish
- To make the sauce: In a saucepan, combine the potato, carrot, garlic, and cashews with enough water to cover. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 2 cups (480 mof the cooking water. Drain and transfer the cooked vegetables and cashews to a high-speed blender, along with the reserved cooking water.
- Add the nutritional yeast, olive oil, paprika, miso, and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed. Set aside.
- To make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. About 5 minutes before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the pot. Drain the pasta and broccoli and return them to the pot.
- Place the pot over low heat and add the scallions, spinach, and cherry tomatoes and toss to combine.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and vegetables and toss to combine and heat through. Transfer to a large serving dish and serve hot, garnished with sunflower seeds and basil leaves, if using.
Vegan Mac & Cheese by Robin Robertson © 2019 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc.
I have a copy of Vegan Mac and Cheese for one lucky winner. Follow the instructions below to enter. U.S. and Canadian residents only, please. The contest ends at midnight on October 30th. Good luck!