Bestselling authors Kathy Freston and Rachel Cohn join together to create a toolbox of resources to aid socially aware teens and young adults interested in adopting a vegan lifestyle. The Book of Veganish contains everything curious young adults need to help them navigate through the transition to a vegan lifestyle. The 70 simple recipes are perfect for those with tight budgets and rudimentary cooking tools (and skills). Filled with insights on the benefits of adopting a plant-based diet and how to best deal with parents and the rest of the nonvegan world, The Book of Veganish will allow existing and aspiring vegans to feel confident about their new lifestyle choices.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons plain, unsweetened nondairy milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, maple syrup, oil, nondairy milk, and vanilla until well blended. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough by the spoonful about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Reprinted from The Book of Veganish by arrangement with Pam Krauss Books/Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2016, Kathy Freston and Rachel Cohn. Recipe by Robin Robertson. Photo by Nicole Axworthy
I have a copy of The Book of Veganish for one lucky winner. Follow the instructions below to enter. Contest ends at midnight on November 8th. Good luck!