Try this easy technique for a cake just right for Valentine’s Day. No specialty cake pan is needed! All it takes is one 9-inch round layer, baked, cooled, chilled and few cuts with a knife.
Here is the Step by Step:
- Bake a Chocolate Torte to Live For: Either the Standard cake, the No Oil-Added, or the Gluten free versions.
- Cool, wrap and refrigerate the layer until it is very cold. (You can freeze the cake too.)
- Either cut a piece of parchment paper into a heart to use as a guide, or cut the round freehand into a heart shape. Save the pieces you’ve cut from the top and sides. Nibbling is definitely ok– resistance is futile–but save some of the cut pieces to use crumble for the alternative topping, if you decide on that option.
- Lightly sweep a dry pastry brush across the sides and top of the cake to remove some loose crumbs. Don’t worry though, since the first coating of Bittersweet Ganache Glaze will glue any loose crumbs down.
- Add a second coating of Bittersweet Ganache Glaze. Refrigerate until the glaze is set.
Alternatively, you can add a coating of crumbs made from the reserved pieces of cake you cut, to the glazed cake. In this case, sprinkle the crumbs over the ganache before it sets. Refrigerate the cake until you are ready to slice and serve. Again, wait for the cake to return to room temperature before savoring each bite. (That said, I know some like it chilled. You made it, try both!)
To serve: For the neatest slices, cut the cake when it is still cold using a good sized knife dipped in very hot water and then wipe the blade dry (carefully). Set the slices on plates and wait until the cake is at room temperature for the best flavor
Recipe: Chocolate Torte to Live For
Recipe: Bittersweet Ganache Glaze
For tasting notes on some of the ethical vegan chocolates that add compassion to the recipe, see my Chocolate Tasting Party blog post.
From my kitchen to yours, I am wishing everyone a sweet, happy and delicious holiday.
All photos ©2015 Hannah Kaminsky
Perfect cake for valentines day to express your love towards your partner. I often order a cake from Monginis online cake shop. But for this valentines day i will try this recipe.