Continuing the no-waste, use-what-you-have theme that led to the delicious, simple Banana Date Cranberry Nice Cream on last week’s blog post, I have some suggestions for you by category for using up those leftover bits and pieces of desserts in your freezer.
Leftover Bits and Pieces of Desserts in My Freezer
- Half Bag of Overbaked Gluten-Free Brownie Thins or a few brownies
- Three pieces, or more accurately chunks, of cake – about 1 1/2 cups.
- Jar of Ganache
- Reduced aquafaba
- Container of Vanilla Pastry Cream
- Nice Cream
Brownies, Gluten–Free Brownie Bites, or Brownie Thins
- I broke the still frozen Thins into large shards. If I had a few brownies, I would have cut them in half horizontally and baked them lightly.
- A smear of Chocolate Ganache from the always-jar in my freezer or use a piece of a chocolate bar.
- Add a vegan marshmallow and toast it with a torch – or not.
- If you have some aquababa Meringue in your refrigerator, use that or make meringue quickly.
Chunks of Cake
- Chunk and make mini (or small) parfaits, layering cake, pastry cream, fruit, ganache, some chopped nuts – makers choice.
- Cake Crumbs: Crumble onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast at 350°F until firmer to the touch. Cool and process until fine. Use to decorate cakes, sprinkle over puddings and gels, or in place of graham cracker crumbs.
- Cake Pops: Crumble the moist cake into a bowl. Add just enough frosting (or ganache) to the cake so that it holds together when rolled into a ball. Make balls, freeze flat. Dip in melted chocolate, cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar, sprinkles. Serve in paper liners.
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- Parfaits, see above
- Berry Shooters
- Mix in some ganache, freeze, serve as ice cream
- Make a dessert shake
- If it is a stiff ganache, make some truffles.
- Or, melt in a water bath and use to fill sandwich cookies.
- Make hot cocoa. Add peppermint for holiday cheer or ancho chili powder to the plant milk for a Mexican hot chocolate.
- Use to make NY Eggless Cream.
- Fill little spoons, add a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds or a berry, banana slice, or … you get the idea.
- Stuff a pitted date.
- Use as Chocolate Fondue.
- Allow to melt and you’ll have a lovely sauce.
- Toast if it is soggy. Add to baked apples, sprinkle on poached pears or any dessert. Or add a ‘line’ of streusel on a plate; that looks very attractive.
I most definitely want to hear your ideas! What do you do with the leftover bits and pieces of desserts in your freezer?