I’m very happy to introduce you today to Susan Powers, the February guest blogger in my Fabulous Women in Food series. Susan has been blogging about raw and vegan food for over 9 years. Her website, rawmazing.com has become one of the top, go to websites for trusted, delicious raw and vegan recipes. Susan is also the photographer behind many of the stunning new recipe photos in my Essential Vegan Desserts Course at Rouxbe. Susan is sharing her Orange Ginger Raw Vegan Doughnuts with us today.
When I first started creating raw and vegan recipes, I bought every cookbook I could get my hands on. I was so excited by the thought of making meals out of raw ingredients. At the time, most raw recipes were pretty simple. I yearned for the dishes that I loved. Dishes that were familiar, and had more sophistication. I started creating my own recipes.
So many elements go into the creating of a good recipe. Flavors need to be delicious and balanced. Textures need to be pleasing. I also pay close attention to how the final dish looks as we eat with our eyes, first.
With that in mind, I have taken many “traditional” recipes and re-created them with healthy, vegan ingredients. I want to make food that is delicious for both your tastebuds and your body.
These Orange Ginger Raw-Vegan Doughnuts are a great example of recipes that excite me. They quickly became a favorite on the blog. The base is raw oat flour, Brazil nuts, and coconut flour –all ingredients that pack a nutritional punch. I used a doughnut pan to get the doughnut shape and finished them with a tasty orange ginger glaze. I hope you enjoy them as much as my readers have!
Orange Ginger Raw Vegan Doughnuts
- 2 1/2 cups raw oat flour, made by grinding raw flaked oats
- 1 cup brazil nuts, ground fine
- 1/4 cup raw, organic coconut flou r
- 1/3 cup raw, organic agave nectar or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest from one orange
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons raw coconut butter (not coconut oil), softened
- 2 tablespoons raw, organic agave nectar or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
Make the Doughnuts:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Making one doughnut at a time, press firmly into doughnut pan. Tip pan over and tap gently to release doughnut. *Top with Orange Ginger Glaze
- Note: oat flours can differ greatly. If your dough is too dry, add a little moisture. Just note you want to be able to press these and mold them.
Make the Orange Glaze
- Whisk all ingredients together. Pour over doughnuts. Let set (this will take a couple of hours).
- *Alternatively, roll into 1 1/2-inch balls and dip in orange glaze.
Susan is graciously giving away her books Rawmazing and Rawmazing Desserts to one lucky reader this week. Follow the instructions below to enter. U.S. residents only, please. The contest ends at midnight on February 7th. Good luck!
Susan Powers has been blogging about raw and vegan food for over 9 years. Her website rawmazing.com has become one of the top, go to websites for trusted, delicious raw and vegan recipes. She is certified in both Plant Based Nutrition through T Collin Campbell’s and Plant Based cooking through rouxbe.com. She has also written 5 cookbooks. Two of her cookbooks have recently been translated into French.
Susan is an accomplished food photographer, shooting cookbooks and for magazines like Sotheby’s Artful Living. Recently she has also been creating beautiful photographs for rouxbe.com, the worlds largest online cooking school. She also has photographed many top chefs and their food for her site, ShootingTheKitchen.com. You can see her photography at SusanPowersPhotography.com Her focus is now is on vegan food.