Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen is the ultimate plant-based Indian cookbook from Richa Hingle. From delicious dals to rich curries, flat breads, savory breakfasts, snacks, and much more, Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen brings you Richa’s collection of plant-based Indian recipes inspired by regional cuisines, Indian culture, local foods, and proven methods.
Whether you want to enjoy Indian cooking, try some new spices, or add more protein to your meals using legumes and lentils, Vegan Richa has got it covered. You’ll explore some well-known and new Indian flavors that are easy to make in your own kitchen. Learn the secrets of eclectic Indian taste and textures, and discover meals in which pulses and vegetables are the stars of the dish.
The recipes have been designed to simplify complex procedures, and Richa’s workflow tips incorporate modern appliances and techniques from other cuisines to reduce cooking times. Replacement spices are indicated wherever possible, and Richa also provides alternatives and variations that allow people to be playful and creative with the spices called for in the recipes.
I absolutely flipped over this book. Truth be told, I don’t eat much Indian food. I have a ‘delicate’ palate– read I don’t like spicy food, or oily food. These recipes are nuanced and I just wanted to make everything!
Roasted Cauliflower and Radish with Mustard, Nigella, and Fennel Seeds
Prep: 20 minutes | Active: 10 minutes | Inactive: 20 minutes | Serves 4
This recipe is super-easy and addictive. Fennel and nigella seeds give the vegetables an Indian pickle flavor profile. Roasted cauliflower is always a hit, and here you can try roasted radish as well. I like to use baby red radishes because they make the dish look so colorful. Serve this with Northeastern dals such as odia dal or cholar dal, and with spicy curries that use fennel seeds. ()
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 15 to 18 small red radishes, sliced (2 to 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon safflower or other neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the cauliflower and sliced radish in a large bowl. Add the oil and rub lightly to coat.
- Pulse the fennel, mustard, nigella seeds, pepper flakes and salt to a coarse mixture in a spice grinder or blender. Add them to the vegetables and toss well. Spread the vegetables on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cauliflower is golden and tender to your preference.
- Garnish liberally with cilantro and lemon juice before serving.
Recipe from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen Copyright © 2015 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press, LLC.
I have a copy of Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen for one lucky reader this week. U.S. residents only, please. Follow the instructions below to enter. Contest ends at midnight eastern time on August 20, 2015. Good luck!